When looking for maths tutoring as student approaching your Year 11 or Year 12 HSC exams, Illawarra students should consider the following factors when doing research into their many options:
- Qualifications: The tutor should have a strong background in mathematics and be well-versed in the curriculum of the HSC exams in Australia.
- Experience: The tutor should have experience teaching mathematics to students at the HSC level, and should have a track record of helping students to achieve success in the subject.
- Availability: The tutor should be available to meet at a time that is convenient for the student, whether that be in-person or online (especially as a Covid-19 backup).
- Teaching Style: The student should look for a tutor who has a teaching style that is compatible with their learning style. Some students may prefer a more hands-on approach, while others may prefer a more theoretical approach.
- Flexibility: The tutor should be able to adapt their teaching style and approach to meet the specific needs of the student.
- Communication: The tutor should be able to communicate complex mathematical concepts in a clear and understandable manner.
- Reviews: Student should look for reviews and references from previous students or parents to have a better understanding of the tutor’s experience and effectiveness.
- Availability of Materials: The tutor should be able to provide materials such as practice exams, worksheets, or other resources to supplement the student’s studies.
- Student’s Goals: The student should consider what their goals are for the tutoring, whether it’s to pass the exam, improve their grades, or to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.